The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Seth Godin Says Kiss My Ass Publishers...(In a roundabout way)


In an interview with mediabistro.com,  Seth Godin, recognized that the Publishing Power Houses are going down the crapper with their own fingers on the flusher...

"The book industry does a great, fabulous, miraculous job of doing what they needed to do in 1965. Great jobs for good people. Ethics that matter. Good taste. Products to be proud of. In terms of responding to changes in the world, I'm at a loss to think of one thing the book industry does well in 2010 that it wasn't already doing in 1990. Not one new thing done well...
I've decided not to publish any more books in the traditional way. ... I like the people, but I can't abide the long wait, the filters, the big push at launch, the nudging to get people to go to a store they don't usually visit to buy something they don't usually buy, to get them to pay for an idea in a form that's hard to spread. ... I really don't think the process is worth the effort that it now takes to make it work. I can reach 10 or 50 times as many people electronically. No, it's not 'better,' but it's different. So, while I'm not sure what format my writing will take, I'm not planning on it being the 1907 version of hardcover publishing any longer.

 Godin says he will use ebooks & POD's to market his own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment