The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Cutter's Mill Sold To Concord

I loved Cutter’s Mill.
I say “loved” because Cutter’s Mill has been sold to Concord.
The odd thing is, I didn’t know this until about a week ago when I popped in and the store was re-arranged (so frustrating. Seriously. Wegman’s seems to have a really hard time keeping things in the same spot and I find this so annoying). There seemed to be this odd vibe (seriously, not making that up!) and I realized I hadn’t seen any “coupons” in my email for quite some time. Also, the area usually filled with inexpensive chews was empty. The empty bins did have price tags, however, and they were far more expensive.
When I went to checkout, I wasn’t asked if I had a Cutter’s Mill card. I mentioned that I hadn’t been receiving coupons and that’s when I was informed Cutter’s Mill had been sold to a company called “Concord.”
I was kinda devastated.  
The coupons have disappeared with promises that “our prices will be lower.”
I haven’t seen the lower prices yet, though the Chalfont employees tell me it’s because their computers are the last to be “upgraded” and we will ‘soon see lower prices.’
The last time we were there, we weren’t asked to “round up” and donate the extra to the SPCA. I generally HATE being asked for donations (I can’t seem to shop anywhere w/o being asked to round up or donate a dollar to help someone, something… (ever notice that the CEO’s of these non-profits make like, almost half a million dollars?) – HOWEVER- I never ever mind being asked to donate and always round up for the SPCA. What can I say – I love animals – generally, they have no ulterior motives. They want to be fed and loved – I’m down with that!
I’ve noticed my favorite employees have been MIA but don’t know if it’s just bad timing (when I shop they are off) or if they’ve been let go or perhaps moved on to different (hopefully better) options.
But, it’s really not even about the prices or the layout. It’s about the general spirit of the store. It doesn’t seem to be as welcoming, as friendly. Cutter’s Mill wasn’t just a store, it was a shopping experience. Concord just feels like a plain ol’ store.
Oh, AND Cutter’s Mill had a fabulous return policy. Now, with Concord, you can only return for a store credit.
I am so bummed. I’m going to give it another month or so, but judging from all the complaints on the facebook page, it seems like Concord says “We want to listen to customers and keep all the things they loved about Cutter’s Mill” but what they say and what they do don’t jive.
A very sad goodbye and thank you to Cutter’s Mill. You are missed.

This is video from a few years ago at Cutter's Mill when we surprised Katie with a new puppy. We had dropped off the puppy and Rich had made a tag that read "this dog belongs to Katie." When we dropped in to go shopping, we were admiring the cute puppy and Rich asked Katie to hold him. Then Katie read the puppy's tag. She later said she couldn't believe this adorable puppy was actually part of our family (however, she quickly changed his name from Bob to Jack!).