The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Monday, April 9, 2018

Why I'm Not Leaving Facebook or Twitter

 I'm not leaving Facebook (or Twitter) even though they are very frustrating to me, but for a different reason than most people.

Why I dislike Twitter and FB Google and Youtube is because they do discriminate and try to influence politically. However, the people they haven't banned or flagged unjustly (Kathy Griffin stands with a bloody head of Trump and remains on Twitter. Milo is mildly suggestive (not even a quarter as politically incorrect as rap stars, sports stars, and leftist) and he is banned.  

However, Twitter, for me, is a great resource in news as it happens BEFORE any major outlets are reporting. Often there will be authentic tweets from people who are live at the scene unwittingly. But you have to also be aware that there are sometimes people planted specifically to make a scene appear worse than it is or who have planned the "spontaneous event." 

Twitter often elevates events they want featured, but Facebook is the real villain here when it comes to controlling the news you see.

I've found many people I wouldn't have found without these social media outlets. Andrew Breitbart, Dave Rubin, Milo, Rich Zeoli, Dr. Jordan Peterson (to name a few).

Facebook keeps me connected with friends and family I don't see because (I hate driving, my party days are mostly behind me, and also, I hate driving).

Social media keeps me connected with small towns around me who have accounts because I don't read the newspapers any longer because they too, are political in nature and seldom give both sides of the story.

Also:

A) If you're leaving Facebook because you're concerned about them using your info, then do not shop at Giant Grocery, Wegmans, Amazon, or any corporate retail place. Do not use a credit card. And do not use a bank (so far, my credit union seems to be keeping my info private).

B) Believe half of what you see from people you don't know. And 75% from people you do know. Not everyone's life is perfect all the time, and the 75% complainers probably have little outlet or like the attention from complaining (headache today, runny nose, can't sleep, pot holes).

I respect when people elect not to shop until a company changes or if they don't agree with company values.

But I also know if all dissenting voices leave - then there really is no "free speech" and it will be more difficult to see all sides and make rational choices (which is what I do when I read facebooks 'trending' news and compare it with a variety of news outlets).

I've been censored by Twitter and one time I was tossed off facebook. I have, at times, allowed the left voices to censor my speech. And it's frustrating. I haven't been altogether banned yet, and sometimes I waver about "what" and "if" I'm ever banned.

Because I do believe it is up to the business to choose who they do business with. However, what is disturbing to me is that these social media CEO's preach tolerance and diversity, but they don't practice it.

For me, trust is the biggest issue facing our country; if you can't trust anyone to be who they say they are, then there is no freedom to pursue a career, a talent, a lifestyle. Without trust, you'll constantly be looking over your shoulder, worried, anxious. Life is chaotic enough with natural disasters and sickness. There needs to be basic rules and they should be followed, not followed selectively.

And that is why I'm not giving up on social media.
I may be dingy or have many 'blonde moments' but I did recognize that being on the internet met being "exposed."

I just never thought I'd be vilified for having a 'wrong' or 'different' opinion by the very people that claimed to be in favor of diversity and freedom.