The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Search For Best Breakfast Spot Ends Here.

Holy Fkin Homefries - I have found, hands down, the breakfast place of my dreams.

As the 2 of you that read my blog know, I am a FAN of breakfast, but have never found any place (other than my kitchen) that makes my fork stand up and sing.

Well, yesterday I went to Cross Keys Diner. Second time there. First time was good, but I ordered off the menu.

Yesterday, there were so many specials that screamed 'fabulous' - and I couldn't decide between them all - so I picked 2.

Eggs Estrada - scrambled eggs with andouille sausage, cheddar cheese, bacon, scallions, corn, tomatoes, with a side of homemade black beans and blue corn chips. Also - comes with homefries and toast.

Seriously? This was the best breakfast food I've ever had. I wanted to finish it, but I couldn't. I took it home and ate it for dinner and it was still fantastic the second time around.

I also had the sweet potato pecan pancakes. Nice. I wasn't overwhelmed w/ pecan - but these were subtly spicy and a nice compliment to the estrada.

I was torn between those and the oatmeal blueberry pancakes - but I'll save those for (hopefully) later. I say hopefully because these items were the "Specials" of the day - which are located on the blackboard - so make sure you take a look at the board when you arrive or ask your waitress. Actually, if you don't see anything you like on the special board - ask you waitress anyway. I know the first time we went, I didn't see anything that got me really excited. Then I ordered and a waitress went up to the blackboard and wrote "Corn Cakes" - ARGHHH! I would have so ordered that!

I have to say though, the first time there, I ordered eggs/bacon/cinnamon raisin french toast and it was ALL fantastic. The bacon (unlike other diners) wasn't so thin I could see through it. The eggs were buttery. And the homefries were tasty. The cinnamon raisin french toast, while it didn't appear thick and hearty, it was the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and even though John doesn't like raisins, he loved this dish anyway!

The diner itself is sunny and warm and welcoming. It feels more like a cafe and less like a diner.The staff is friendly but not intrusive. Um, yeah, and when the waitress, Charlotte,  (er, server, sorry) tells you that on her day off, she always wants to eat breakfast at the place she works, you KNOW the food is good!

Also - they shop for their produce every morning and when it's gone, it's gone. When they say the food is fresh (and local), it is. And you can taste this is the food!


I have been searching forever for the best breakfast place EVER and it is here, the Cross Keys Diner, where I will rest my weary coffee cup.


4125 E Swamp Rd
DoylestownPA 18901
(215) 348-4911


Hours:
Mon-Fri 6:30 am - 2:30 pm
Sat-Sun 7 am - 2:30 pm

3 comments:

  1. Ok. Now I want breakfast! There!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs Estrada. With a side of CHiPs. Ponch & Jon live!

    Wow, did I ever age myself with this comment. I'll write it off as being woozy with jealousy as I had only a Luna bar for breakfast today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the comparison. I had a crush on Jon...hmm, and the guy in my life is a cop named John who rides a Harley...
    Girl, if you've never been there - it beats the HELL out of a Luna bar!

    ReplyDelete