The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 9 BFB- Rest, Reading, Confusion

Diablo & I enjoying a day of rest.
Today I finally took a day off from the gym. I decided to read a few books about fitness/eating. I'd bought Impact by Todd Durkin - a trainer for many NFL football players. His book appealed to me because the training switches every few weeks (it's a 10 week program) and he uses resistance bands as well as a lot of other equipment and has so many quickfire reps that you don't need to do cardio (treadmill/crosstrainer etc) - I freaking HATE cardio (unless I'm watching a good TV show or the Flyers!).
I also checked out Tim Ferriss, the author of the Four Hour Body. FHB is currently #1 on Amazon, mostly because he flooded Amazon with reviews by sending fans copies of his book and asking them to post a review on Dec 14th. Tim is a social media phenom. I mostly like him, but I don't feel he is the last word on fitness. He talks about the slow carb diet, among other things.
Somehow, this led me to the Gluten Free diet, the Paleo Diet, oh, and the French Diet (I like that one - you can eat ANYTHING - the key is to eat very little of it!). My head was spinning. WTF?
I thought maybe it might be a good idea to try a new "diet" once a month for a year. I'm seriously considering it just to see what happens. Because ultimately, every body is different. The key is finding out what works for you. I understand there is no miracle diet. One diet guru swore that whole grains screwed up our system. I do know, there ARE people that can't eat grains. One person said the key is eating fat (healthy fat) because it fills us up and satisfies us. Now, I know that works for me. I can't give up my butter. No FKING way. But I only use it sparingly. A teaspoon when I make my eggs. A small pat when I butter my whole grain bread.
I realized we are a country obsessed with perfection. The perfect diet, the perfect body, the perfect house...we think we need THAT ONE THING ...the one book, the one movie, the one phrase, the one person...but isn't life all about change? So why would we even want to settle for ONE thing? It's all about growing and evolving and enjoying life. No need to stress out to find "the perfect" recipe (maybe the "best recipe though...). I need to quit looking for the ONE ROAD and try many roads - I'd rather a variety of options than one option.
Anyway, it was a good day off. I feel rested and can't wait to get back in the gym tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment