The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gloucester K9 Officer Schultz - RIP

Cpl Mark Pickard and K9 Shultz (left).
In October, Katie and I attended the Police K9 trials at the Willow Grove Navy Airbase. Living with Thor the last few years- a fierce police dog at work, a lovable sweetheart at home- I've learned the police dogs LIVE for the moment their partner puts the uniform on, lives for the moment they jump in that police car.
It's amazing to watch the dogs in action. Their enthusiasm and intelligence and strength never ceases to amaze me.
All the dogs were awesome, and there were some that stood out, and one was K9 Schultz. Schultz took 1st Place in Obedience, 1st Place in Scent Detection, 2nd Place in Agility, and 2nd Place in Individual Overall Competition. He was big, beautiful, and smart.
Last night, Schultz was murdered in the line of duty while trying to apprehend a robbery suspect.
 I did not personally know Cpl. Mark Pickard, and I can't even begin to imagine the loss an officer feels when losing his K9 partner. But I know how much I've grown to love Thor over the past few years. How it drives me crazy that as soon as John grabs his uniform shirt from the closet, Thor begins to get excited, whining and yelping. How he runs around the yard barking at 5:30 in the morning, so excited to be going to work, and that, after 12 hours of being with John, after they arrive home, Thor follows his partner around and rests his big furry face on John's leg when he's sitting on the couch. Good grief! If I had to spend 12 hours a day with John in a car, I'd be locking myself in a room as soon as we got home!
The bond between K9 and Officer is probably one of the most devoted. loving,  relationships, and my heart is heavy with sadness at the thought of a K9 who's life ended at such a young age.
But Schultz died doing, no doubt, what he loved to do, what he lived for. These dogs spend long hours with their human partners, they exercise their mind and their body, and for all their hard work they get a dog biscuit a Kong Ball, and belly rub, and you know what, that's all they need to make them happy!
Though Schultz's life ended much too soon, if he's anything like the K9's I know, his 3 years were full of many biscuits, many Kong Balls, many belly rubs. He probably lived more fully in his 3 years than most dogs, who spend most of their life lying on the floor waiting for their owners to come home from a 10 hour day of work.
If your local police uses a K9 unit, please consider dropping off a small box of sealed/unopened dog biscuits as a small sign of appreciation. 
RIP K9 Officer Schultz.

Note: Thank you for your comments. For some reason, they are not posting to the blog. I'm trying to fix it!

2 comments:

  1. beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no other feeling like the loss of a beloved animal. Dropping off biscuits is a sweet suggestion! RIP Shultz.

    ReplyDelete